In many articles describing a modern leader the traits that spring to mind amongst others could include; confidence, dedication, influence, discipline, strength and decisiveness. But surely to become a successful leader, all these traits must be underpinned with a large dose of self-awareness.
The definition of self-awareness is “the conscious knowledge of one’s own character, feelings, motives, and desires.” It is an attribute that allows you to recognise how your presence affects others around you.
Are you aware of what the body language and behaviour of others could be saying? Do you sense when friction is arising during a conversation? Can you recognise the underlying messages given by certain facial expressions or gestures? Do you know what the atmosphere is like in the office?
Self-awareness is an important attribute that will help move a good leader to an exceptional leader. Use the checklist below to help determine the strength of your leadership brand.
- Do you show empathy toward your team? People need to know you care before they care what you know.
- Does your presence display leadership without having to pull rank? A leader is an influencer, who is willing to work with people and help them achieve their goals.
- Do you take time to reflect on how you can develop? What areas can you improve? Leaders are learners.
- Do you ask for feedback? It is important to value other perspectives.
- Are you an authentic leader? It helps to show your team that you are human and let them know the real you.
If you need support developing your leadership team, please get in touch firstname.lastname@example.org or browse some of the example leadership workshops available on our website.